State of Texas Approved Course License #PT220

Help Center > > Current Article

I have a Learners Permit from a different state. What do I need to do?

First of all, congratulations and welcome to Texas! Here’s the situation, you’re a teen that just moved to Texas from another state. You have an Out of State Learner License or Learners Permit and you want to get your Texas License. Well here’s what you need to do:

  1. Go to your local Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) location.
  2. Exchange your valid Out of State Learner license/Permit for a Texas Learner License
  3. Next the DPS will check your proof of driver education, depending on the proof (or lack of it) they will require different steps:
    1. Without/Insufficient proof of driver education:
      1. Required to complete 32 hours classroom hours and 44 behind the wheel hours.
      2. Purchase a teen drivers ed course (like ours!) and follow the steps.
    2. With proof of driver education:
      1. Required to complete 44 behind the wheel hours
      2. You can do this by purchasing a teen drivers ed course (like ours!) and following the steps.
    3. With proof of driver education and have held the Learner license/Permit for six months:
      1. Complete the Impact Texas Drivers (ITD) program
      2. Successfully pass the driving test

Keep these things in mind:

  • The DPS might require different steps for your unique situation. You’ll need to go to the DPS to find out your specific steps.
  • Texas law requires that anyone issued a Texas learner license must hold that license for at least six (6) months or until they are 18 years of age, whichever is earlier. If a learner license/permit is exchanged for a Texas learner license, it must be held for 6 months. No credit is given for prior months the applicant held their permit from another state.
  • If you are between 16 – 17 years of age and are transferring/presenting a provisional driver license, you will be issued a Texas provisional driver license.

Still need help? Contact Us